Childhood grief is prevelant
- Research shows one in seven children (14%) will lose a parent or sibling before the age of 20.
- Census data shows this equals over 10 million children nationwide
- This means more than 150,000 children in South Carolina will have experienced a loss before their 20th birthday.
Of the children that have attended Camp Hands of Hope:
- 51% have lost a parent
- 20% have lost a grandparent
- 15% have lost a sibling
- 8% have lost a member of their extended family
- 6% off losses fall into the other category.